top of page

Our Steam Train

The miniature locomotive was built by William Thomas who worked at Glyncymmer Colliery until 1909. He later moved to Birmingham where he became an apprentice electrician with GEC. In his spare time he was a model engineer and he built the model train named “Apology” from scratch in 1922. William died in 1951 before completing the model train. William’s son Harold Thomas had moved to Australia, Harold donated the train to the Museum in the hope his fathers work would be completed. The work was completed by volunteers at the museum in 2013. The Train was renamed Glyndwr in memory of Glyn Thomas the former director/secretary of South Wales Miners Museum. Glyndwr now runs on a section of 9.5" track at the museum.

volunteers & train.jpeg

Port Talbot born actor Michael Sheen  hearing the story of Glyndwr from one of the Museum volunteers

Watch Glyndwr in action

bottom of page